Transition from indoor gym to outdoor rock
Level 1 Rock prepares climbers for outdoor climbing. With basic indoor climbing skills, our ACMG guides will teach you the techniques for top rope climbing outdoors.
This is a 1 day course typically held in the Squamish Smoke Bluffs. A perfect course for climbers ready to make the transition outside. Take Level 1, 2, 3 or 4 Rock sequentially and receive 20% off!
Courses are in Squamish from 8am - 4pm. Meet your Guide at Climb On in downtown Squamish at 8am. Please come 15 minutes early if you need to rent shoes or shop at Climb On. Your guide will go over the waiver and get you to sign it then check equipment before moving to the crag. Plan to be back at the cars by 4pm.
8am - 4pm
Vancouver courses are available. Please contact us.
Basic knots, top-rope belaying, indoor climbing 5.8.
phone 778-874-7386 or
- Safety systems and protocols, hazards at the crag, and risk management.
- Review top-rope belaying, knots, and tying-in.
- Learn different belay devices and techniques (ATC, Grigri, Munter)
- Equipment strengths, forces on top-rope systems, proper use and fit.
- Learn top-rope anchors and assess integrity:
- single direction trad anchors, bolts, vegetation
- Safe communication and terminology.
- Build and practice top-rope systems and anchors.
- Ground anchors and when to use them.
- Introduce rappelling and prusik back-up.
- Introduce lead climbing theory and lead belaying.
- Next steps: discuss self-directed practice and Level 2 Rock.
Note: Goals are flexible and can be tailored for groups.
- Helmet (climbing)
- Belay device
- Chalk bag
- Rock shoes (Climb On rents shoes)
- 3 locking carabiners (pear shape)
- 2 locking carabiners (D shape)
- 2 x Double length sling (120cm)
- Cordelette (5m x 7mm cord)
- 1 - STERLING 13.5" HOLLOW BLOCK PRUSIK
Note: VMG will supply equipment you do not have.
1:6 (minimum 3)
guide : participants
Note: additional cost under minimums. Please enquire.
$119.00 +GST (1 day)
Note: Contact VMG for other dates or large groups. We can teach groups up to 12
Spend your summer days outside on rock!
Learning to outdoor rock climb with professional ACMG Guides will give you a foundation and freedom to begin creating new adventures and explore new climbing areas.