Learn How to Multi-Pitch!
Level 4 Rock will give you the skills to climb multi-pitch routes. Building on Level 2 and 3 Rock, your guide will teach you multi-pitch systems and efficiencies.
This is a 1 day course and also makes a great refresher for those out of practice or for climbers that want to learn speed efficiencies. Rescue Rock is an excellent companion course to compliment Level 4 Rock. Receive 20% off if booked together.
Courses are in Squamish from 8am - 4pm. Meet your Guide at Climb On in downtown Squamish at 8am. Please come 15 minutes early if you need to rent shoes or shop at Climb On. Your guide will go over the waiver and get you to sign it then check equipment before moving to the crag. Plan to be back at the cars by 4pm.
8am - 4pm
Trad lead climbing experience or Level 3 Rock and practice. Climbing 5.6 - 5.7 cracks and slab outdoors.
phone 778-874-7386 or
- Safety systems and protocols, specific hazards in multi-pitching, mitigating risk.
- Equipment strength, multi-pitch forces, fall factor.
- Review lead belaying and communication.
- Planning, route finding, reading a topo
- Multi-pitch theory: racking up, choosing what to bring, packs, rope(s), descent/retreat options.
- Review gear placements (cams and nuts)
- Learn to build a multi-directional gear belay anchor: safety factors to consider
- Top-belaying a second with an autoblock device
- Strategies for leading off the belay anchor, first pieces, avoiding a factor 2 fall
- Station management, belay transitions (lap coils, flipping the pile)
- Learn efficiencies: gear transfer, cleaning quick, breaking down the station
- Multi-pitch rappelling, tying 2 ropes together, PAS's, rap anchor integrity, back-up prussik
- Next steps: discuss self-directed practice and Rescue Rock
Note: Goals are flexible and can be tailored for individuals.
- Helmet (climbing)
- Belay device (ATC Guide)
- Chalk bag
- Rock shoes (Climb On rents shoes)
- 5 locking carabiners (pear shape)
- 2 x Double length sling (120cm)
- Cordelette (5m x 7mm cord)
- 6 x Quickdraws
- 4 x Alpine Draws (60cm slings)
- Double Rack (cams + nuts)
- Rope 9.2-9.8mm x 70m
Note: VMG will supply equipment you do not have.
$189 +GST (1 day)
Note: Contact VMG for other dates or large groups. We can teach groups up to 12
1:4 (minimum 2)
guide : participants
Note: additional cost under minimums. Please enquire.
Spend your summer days outside on rock!
Learn to multi-pitch climb with professional ACMG Guides. VMG will safely teach you fundamental skills that you will use on every climb!