Sport Climbing & Projecting!
Sport climbing as a discipline is often overlooked by loyal trad climbers. However, embracing the craft is not only a display of knowledge and experience, it often makes you safer and stronger!
Sport climbing is the apex of climbing for some climbers. Understandably, it is exhilarating to distill the sport down to movement at your absolute limit. Becoming expert in the skills and techniques is the focus of this course.
Courses can be held in either Squamish or Vancouver from 8am - 4pm each day. Meet in the morning at a planned meeting spot at 8am. Your guide will have you fill out a waiver and sign it then check your equipment before moving onto the climbing area.
8am - 4pm
Take your Sport Rock course in the sunny Okanagan! Learn to become a proficient sport climber under the safe eye and instruction from your ACMG guide in the Skaha Bluffs. This course is run over 2 days giving more time to practice, and sample the climbing at Skaha!
For more information and to book your weekend contact us!
Top-roping experience in the gym or Level 1 Rock and practice. Climb 5.9.
- Safety systems and protocols, risk management.
- Sport climbing equipment specifics: shoes, ropes, draws, harness, rope bags, packs
- Equipment strength, # falls on rope, fall factor.
- Belaying with and learning the benefits of a Grigri for sport climbing.
- Learn to belay sport climbs, giving a soft catch, anticipating the clip, bumping up the climber.
- Racking up, bringing the right number of draws.
- Warm-up routine and route choices.
- How to use a stick clip, how to improvise, how to pull the rope leaving the first draw clipped.
- Strategies for climbing your hardest: finding rests, given'er, climbing pumped, mental aspects.
- Different techniques for clipping draws efficiently, the correct way to face gates.
- Projecting your hardest, putting the draws up, working moves, going for the redpoint.
- Mental aspects of falling, fall safety.
- Cleaning sport routes, threading the anchor, lowering vs rappelling, overhangs and tramming.
- Conclusion: creating goals, training to climb hard.
Note: Goals are flexible and can be tailored for groups.
- Belay Device (Grigri preferred)
- Locking Carabiner
- Chalk bag (extra chalk)
- Rock Shoes
- 12-16 Quickdraws
- 9mm-9.8mm x 70m rope
- Belay Gloves
- Belay Glasses
VMG can supply equipment.
$119 +GST (1 day)
$25 +GST transportation
Note: Vancouver -> Climbing area
Pick-up at Seabus or major transportation terminus in Vancouver.
April 19, 29 FINISHED
May 10 , 17 FINISHED
June 10, 14 FINISHED
June 24 - FINISHED
July 5 - FINISHED
July 22 - 5 SPOTS OPEN
Aug 9 - OPEN
Aug 26 - OPEN
Skaha Weekend or Weekdays:
- choose any 2 days
- perfect for learning sport climbing
- perfect for pushing limits
Contact VMG for custom dates.
1:6 (minimum 3)
guide : participants
Spend your summer days outside on rock!
Learn to sport climb with professional ACMG Guides. VMG will safely teach you fundamental skills to clip bolts and project at your limit!