Sport Climbing & Projecting!
Sport climbing as a discipline is often overlooked by loyal trad climbers. However, embracing the craft is not only a display of knowledge and experience, it often makes you safer and stronger!
Sport climbing is the apex of climbing for some climbers. Understandably, it is exhilarating to distill the sport down to movement at your absolute limit. Becoming expert in the skills and techniques is the focus of this course.
Courses can be held in either Squamish or Vancouver from 8am - 4pm each day.
8am - 4pm (1 day)
Take your Sport Rock course in the sunny Okanagan! Learn to become a proficient sport climber under the safe eye and instruction from your ACMG guide in the Skaha Bluffs. This course is run over 2 days giving more time to practice, and sample the climbing at Skaha!
For more information and to book your weekend contact us!
- Safety systems and protocols, risk management.
- Sport climbing equipment specifics: shoes, ropes, draws, harness, rope bags, packs.
- Equipment strength, # falls on rope, fall factor.
- Belaying with and learning the benefits of a Grigri for sport climbing.
- Learn to belay sport climbs, giving a soft catch, anticipating the clip, bumping up the climber.
- Racking up, bringing the right number of draws.
- Warm-up routine and route choices.
- How to use a stick clip, how to improvise, how to pull the rope leaving the first draw clipped.
- Strategies for climbing your hardest: finding rests, given'er, climbing pumped, mental aspects.
- Different techniques for clipping draws efficiently, the correct way to face gates.
- Projecting your hardest, putting the draws up, working moves, going for the redpoint.
- Mental aspects of falling, fall safety.
- Cleaning sport routes, threading the anchor, lowering vs rappelling, overhangs and tramming.
- Conclusion: creating goals, training to climb hard.
Note: Goals are flexible and can be tailored for groups.
- Belay Device (Grigri useful)
- Locking Carabiner
- Chalk bag
- Rock Shoes
- Belay Gloves
- Belay Glasses
$155 +GST (1 day)
April - October daily (choose 1 day)
April 19, 29
May 10 , 17
June 10, 14, 17
July 5, 12, 22
Aug 9, 16, 23
Skaha Weekend or weekdays:
- choose any 2 days
VMG can accommodate custom dates. Contact us!
1:4 (minimum 2)
guide : participants
Top-roping experience in the gym or Level 1 Rock and practice. Climb 5.9.
Questions? Contact Us
Spend your summer days outside on rock!
Learn to sport climb with professional ACMG Guides. VMG will safely teach you fundamental skills to clip bolts and project at your limit!