Transition from indoor gym to outdoor rock
Level 1 Rock prepares climbers for outdoor climbing. With basic indoor climbing skills, our ACMG guides will teach you the techniques for top rope climbing in places like the Squamish Smoke Bluffs. This is the perfect course for climbers ready to make the transition outside. Take Level 1, 2, or 3 Rock sequentially and receive 20% off!
Courses are in Vancouver or Squamish from 8am - 4pm. We are fortunate to have amazing rock in Vancouver and Squamish so we can choose a preferred location. At 8am we will meet at a predetermined location to sign waivers and check equipment, then we will move on to the climbing area. Plan to be back at the cars at 4pm.
8am - 4pm
Basic knots, top-rope belaying, indoor climbing 5.8
- Safety systems and protocols, hazards at the crag, and risk management.
- Review top-rope belaying, knots, and tying-in.
- Learn different belay devices and techniques (ATC, Grigri, Munter)
- Equipment strengths, forces on top-rope systems, proper use and fit.
- Learn top-rope anchors and assess integrity:
- single direction trad anchors, bolts, vegetation
- Safe communication and terminology.
- Build and practice top-rope systems and anchors.
- Ground anchors and when to use them.
- Introduce rappelling and prusik back-up.
- Introduce lead climbing theory and lead belaying.
- Next steps: discuss self-directed practice and Level 2 Rock.
Note: Goals are flexible and can be tailored for groups.
- Helmet (climbing)
- Belay device
- Chalk bag
- Rock shoes (comfortable)
- 5 locking carabiners (pear shape)
- 2 x Double length sling (120cm)
- Cordelette (5m x 7mm cord)
Note: VMG will supply equipment you do not have.
$119.00 +GST (1 day)
$25 +GST transportation
Note: Vancouver -> Climbing area
Pick-up at Seabus or major transportation terminus in Vancouver.
April 15 - FINISHED
May 06 - FINISHED
May 20 - FINISHED
June 04 - FINISHED
June 24 - FINISHED
July 15 - FINISHED
Aug 12 - OPEN
Note: contact us for private courses and larger or smaller groups.
1:6 (minimum 4)
guide : participants
Spend your summer days outside on rock!
Learning to outdoor rock climb with professional ACMG Guides will give you a foundation and freedom to begin creating new adventures and explore new climbing areas.