Big Wall Climbing!
Learning to aid climb is the first step to big wall climbing. Most of the worlds big walls are climbed using aid techniques along the route. Even smaller objectives in Squamish can require a small section of aid (ie. bolt ladders on the Grand Wall).
Gaining this skill set will enable participants to set their sites on a large range of objectives from single pitch aid climbs to long free climbs guarded by one or two aid pitches. Our Aid-Climbing course will cover all the skills needed to lead a basic aid pitch. The focus is on clean aid and 2 aider techniques. Participants will have the chance to lead short aid pitches, practice jumarring technique, and haul a haul bag.
Courses are in Squamish from 8am - 4pm. Meet your VMG Guide at the Squamish Adventure Centre at 8am. Your guide will check equipment and provide waivers before moving to the crag. Plan to be back at the cars at 4pm.
8am - 4pm
- Belay device
- Locking carabiner
- Approach shoes.
- Review aid climbing theory.
- Gearing up, overview of equipment for aid.
- Hazards and risk management related to aid climbing.
- Aiding systems:
- 2 aider systems
- 4 aider systems
- Daisy chains, fifi hooks.
- Practice aid climbing, learn the steps for efficient aid technique, clipping the rope.
- Aid pieces, whats going to hold, how to bounce test pieces.
- High stepping in aiders, balancing on the rock.
- Lead-belaying with a Grigri.
- Jumarring technique, building speed, safety back-ups.
- Introduction to the haul bag: set-up, packing, hauling with microtraxion, docking the bag.
- Rappelling with the haul bag.
- Introduction to advanced aid techniques:
- Copper heads
Note: Goals are flexible and can be tailored for groups.
$155 +GST (1 day)
April - October daily
VMG can accommodate most dates. Register now!
1:4 (minimum 2)
guide : participants
Level 2 Rock or equivalent experience. Lead 5.8 traditional rock climbs. Basic rock protection and anchoring systems required.
Question? Contact us.
Learn to aid climb from ACMG guides that climb in Yosemite!
Learning to aid climb will enrich your opportunities for climbing. The big walls in Yosemite and around the world are there for climbers with these skills.