Big Wall Climbing!
Learning to aid climb is the first step to big wall climbing. Most of the worlds big walls are climbed using aid techniques along the route. Even smaller objectives in Squamish can require a small section of aid (ie. bolt ladders on the Grand Wall).
Gaining this skill set will enable participants to set their sites on a large range of objectives from single pitch aid climbs to long free climbs guarded by one or two aid pitches. Our Aid-Climbing course will cover all the skills needed to lead a basic aid pitch. The focus is on clean aid and 2 aider techniques. Participants will have the chance to lead short aid pitches, practice jumarring technique, and haul a haul bag.
Courses are in Squamish (or Vancouver) from 8am - 4pm. Meet your Guide at the Squamish Adventure Centre at 8am. Your guide will go over the waiver and get you to sign it then check equipment before moving to the crag. Plan to be back at the cars by 4pm.
8am - 4pm
Level 2 Rock or equivalent experience. Lead 5.8 traditional rock climbs. Basic rock protection and anchoring systems required.
- Review aid climbing theory.
- Gearing up, overview of equipment for aid.
- Hazards and risk management related to aid climbing.
- Aiding systems:
- 2 aider systems
- 4 aider systems
- Daisy chains, fifi hooks.
- Practice aid climbing, learn the steps for efficient aid technique, clipping the rope.
- Aid pieces, whats going to hold, how to bounce test pieces.
- High stepping in aiders, balancing on the rock.
- Lead-belaying with a Grigri.
- Jumarring technique, building speed, safety back-ups.
- Introduction to the haul bag: set-up, packing, hauling with microtraxion, docking the bag.
- Rappelling with the haul bag.
- Introduction to advanced aid techniques:
- Copper heads
Note: Goals are flexible and can be tailored to individuals.
1:6 (minimum 4)
guide : participants
$149 +GST (1 day)
$25 +GST transportation
Note: Vancouver -> Climbing area
Pick-up at Seabus or major transportation terminus in Vancouver.
July 8th - OPEN
July 29th - OPEN
Aug 9th - OPEN
Aug 26th - OPEN
Note: Contact VMG for other dates or large groups. We can teach groups up to 12.
- Helmet (climbing)
- Belay device
- Chalk bag
- Approach shoes (stiff soles)
- 2 x Double length sling (120cm)
- Cordelette (5m x 7mm cord)
- 10-15 spare biners
- 2 x Etriers (4-6 step)
- 2 x Ascenders (handles)
- 2 x Daisy chains
- Double Rack (cams + nuts)
- Rope 9.2-9.8mm x 70m
Note: VMG will supply equipment you do not have.
Learn to aid climb from ACMG guides that climb big walls in Yosemite!
Learning to aid climb will enrich your opportunities for climbing. The big walls in Yosemite and around the world are there for climbers with these skills.