Learn to Trad Climb!
Level 3 Rock is designed for climbers wanting to learn trad climbing. The focus is learning to lead on trad, placing trad gear, and building anchors. This course builds on skills from Level 1 and 2 Rock. Our ACMG guides provide close support, ascending on a separate rope beside you, ensuring your safety, while inspiring your first lead on gear!
Take Level 1, 2, 3, or 4 Rock sequentially and receive 20% off!
Courses are in Squamish (or Vancouver) from 8am - 4pm. Meet your Guide at the Squamish Adventure Centre at 8am. Your guide will go over the waiver and get you to sign it then check equipment before moving to the crag. Plan to be back at the cars by 4pm.
8am - 4pm
Lead climbing outdoors on sport climbs or Level 2 Rock. Solid crack climber at the 5.6 level minimum. Take our Crack Camp to improve your crack climbing skills!
- Safety systems and protocols, and risk management on lead.
- Equipment strength, forces encountered leading, fall factors.
- Place and assess trad gear (cams, nuts)
- Tricks for cleaning gear, seconding a pitch, and using a nut tool.
- Safe communication and terminology.
- Multidirectional 3 and 4 point anchors. IDEALS acronym. Anchors in series and parallel.
- Strategies for lead climbing and placing gear, protecting the second.
- Mock leads with top-rope or real leads depending on participants.
- Focus on solid skills, mock or real lead climb with coaching.
- Practice crack climbing techniques.
- Rappelling, prusik back-up, knots in the ends.
- Tying 2 ropes together, strategies to throw ropes or basket coil.
- Intro to French free, bolt ladders, and self-rescue.
- Practice multi-directional anchors, equalizing with slings and cordelette.
Note: Goals are flexible and can be tailored for individuals.
1:4 (minimum 3)
guide : participants
Note: additional cost under minimums. Please enquire.
$25 +GST transportation
Transportation note: Please enquire. Not always available. Pick-up is at a major transportation terminus in Vancouver.
Check back for 2018 dates!
Note: Contact VMG for other dates or large groups. We can teach groups up to 12
- Helmet (climbing)
- Belay device
- Chalk bag
- Rock shoes (comfortable)
- 5 locking carabiners (pear shape)
- 2 x Double length sling (120cm)
- Cordelette (5m x 7mm cord)
- 6 x Quickdraws
- 4 x Alpine Draws (60cm slings)
- Double Rack (cams + nuts)
- Rope 9.2-9.8mm x 70m
Note: VMG will supply equipment you do not have.
Learn to lead cracks!
Learn to outdoor lead climb with professional ACMG Guides and instruction. VMG will give you a foundation and the freedom to safely and confidently lead amazing crack climbs this summer!