Learn How to Multi-Pitch!
Level 3 Rock will give you the skills to climb multi-pitch routes. Building on Level 2 Rock, your guide will teach you multi-pitch systems and efficiencies. On day 2, participants will plan and lead a multi-pitch!
We also offer a 1 day course for climbers with previous experience. The 1 day course is a good refresher to open the season or for those that want to improve their efficiencies and skills. Rescue Rock is an excellent companion course to compliment Level 3 Rock. Receive 20% off if booked together.
Courses are in Squamish from 8am - 4pm each day. Meet a the Squamish Adventure Centre at 8am to sign waivers and check equipment. Plan to be back at 4pm when your guide will give you a plan and meeting spot for day two.
8am - 4pm
Trad lead climbing experience or Level 2 Rock and practice. Climbing 5.6 - 5.7 cracks and slab.
- Safety systems and protocols, multi-pitch hazards, mitigating risk.
- Weather and planning. Route options.
- Equipment strength, multi-pitch forces, fall factor.
- Review lead belaying and communication.
- Trad gear placement, multidirectional belay anchors.
- Route finding and topos.
- Multi-pitch theory: racking up, what to carry, packs, choosing rope(s), timing, descent or retreat options.
- Strategies for leading out on hanging belays, first piece.
- Station management, belay transitions (lap coils, flipping the pile).
- Multi-pitch rappelling on 2 ropes, PAS's, rap anchors, fireman brake.
- A 2nd guide will join (1:2 ratio). Participants climb a Squamish multi-pitch.
- Participants plan a multi-pitch assignment with coaching.
- Weather, route options, approach, timing, descent/retreat options, gear choice.
- Risk management and decision making skills tested with coaching.
- Route finding developed, multi-pitch efficiencies found.
- Bolt ladders, French free for wet or hard pitches.
- Next steps: discuss self-directed practice and Rescue Rock (receive 20% off sequential courses/guiding).
Note: Goals are flexible and can be tailored for individuals.
1:4 (minimum 2)
guide : participants
$169 +GST (1 day intensive)*
$329 +GST (2 days)
$25 +GST transportation
Note: Vancouver -> Squamish
Pick-up at Seabus or major transportation terminus in Vancouver.
April 29, 30* - FINISHED
May 27, 28* - FINISHED
June 24, 25* - FINISHED
July 29, 30* - FINISHED
Aug 19, 20* - OPEN
* = 1 day intensive
Note: Contact us for other dates and larger groups!
- Helmet (climbing)
- Belay device (ATC Guide)
- Chalk bag
- Rock shoes (comfortable)
- 5 locking carabiners (pear shape)
- 2 x Double length sling (120cm)
- Cordelette (5m x 7mm cord)
- 6 x Quickdraws
- 4 x Alpine Draws (60cm slings)
- Double Rack (cams + nuts)
- Rope 9.2-9.8mm x 70m
Note: VMG will supply equipment you do not have.
Spend your summer days outside on rock!
Learn to multi-pitch climb with professional ACMG Guides. VMG will safely teach you fundamental skills that you will use on every climb!